Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Shaker Card

This isn't my first shaker card, but it is the first one I've blogged about and honestly it's only the second one I've ever made. It didn't turn out exactly how I had wanted, but that's how we learn, so I'm going to share it anyway! That and I put a lot of time into it.
I have quite the obsession with these adorable little giraffes from Wplus9 lately! And the balloon that comes with the set was the perfect size for a shaker element!  I started with creating my cut file for the balloon using Inkscape and then uploading to Cricut Design Space (this file is linked below for you to download). I used my Cricut to cut a 4.25 by 5 inch piece of watercolor paper with the balloon cut out as well as some faux stitching I created with dashed lines. Now, I am a huge fan of faux stitching, but no matter what I do I cannot get it to look right with my Cricut. So, I ended up purchasing a big shot and some lawn fawn stitched dies, but I didn't have them at this point. 

I did a blue watercolor wash for the background. I made sure to go darker than my last card since it was so hard to see in the last one. I made the mistake of cutting the card first, so I ended up with a small white border around the edge. 
I then added my giraffe I colored with distress markers and some water to the center of the card and stamped the bottom of the balloon on the circle to make it actually look like a balloon. I also stamped the string that comes with the stamp set around the giraffe's waist so it looks like the balloon is carrying him. The string wasn't quite long enough, so I attached the two pieces by drawing a line with a black micron pen. 

I apparently have an obsession with sparkly texture paste clouds too, because I added them to this card also. Here you can see the stencil I created with my Cricut (man I love that machine), and the giraffe hiding behind it. 
I wanted to heat emboss my sentiment on some heat resistant acetate with white embossing powder, but when I went to fuse the two pieces together with my fuse tool to make the shaker pocket it wouldn't melt together (duh because it's heat resistant!). So, I ended up stamping the sentiment with black stazon ink on an empty scrapbook page that I cut up. Then I used a cut out of the balloon as a guide when fusing the two pieces together, as you can see in the picture below. 

I don't know if it was the kind of scrapbook pockets I used, or of my ink is drying out, but no matter how many times I re stamped my sentiment it just wouldn't look right. Oh well. I then used some Pretty Pink Posh sequins and some Martha Stewart confetti to fill the pocket and then fused it closed. I used some Ranger Multi Medium Matte to hold it to the back side of the front panel.

By this time (this card took me a few days to finish), I had received my big shot and Lawn Fawn dies. So I cut my card base with the stitched rectangle and some yellow card stock from Hobby Lobby. Finally I cut out some craft foam (I use craft foam when I have a bigger area to cover) and a few pieces of foam tape, adhered it to the back of my card front, and put it all together. 

I know I posted a pictures of this card a while ago on IG, so sorry it took so long to get this post up. I'm currently finishing up a card for my husband; our 4 year wedding anniversary is tomorrow! So stay tuned for that one! And as always, thanks for stopping by! ❤️

Free SVG files:


I am sharing the cut files that I have created with my blog followers; if you do not follow me all I request is that you do. To use the files in Design Space they must be resized. However, all you have to do is change the width and the height will automatically correct to be proportional.
**NOTE** These are only cut files and do not contain the stamped image inside. To use them properly you must own the stamp sets.

Balloon to stamp on (entire image) download - width 2.372
Balloon only (what I used above) download - width 2.327


Supplies Used:



No comments:

Post a Comment