Monday, June 8, 2015

Pretty Pink Posh Watercolor Blog Hop


So this is super exciting - my first blog hop! Pretty Pink Posh is hosting a watercolor blog hop open to everyone! For more info on the hop click here! Now, I want to preface my card by saying I only found out about it on Friday which is when it opened for submissions. So, this card was done on a whim with an idea I had as soon as I looked at this adorable stamp set from Wplus9 - "Unforgettable." Without further ado, here it is:
Sorry about the terrible lighting. I am just a newbie, so I don't have amazing expensive lighting and cameras. The watercolor background is a lot bluer in person and all of the clouds sparkle. 

The first thing I did was paint the blue background with some cheap watercolor from Michael's on watercolor paper I taped to a mixed media clipboard. Next I used a cloud stencil that I made myself on my Cricut explore and added Ranger Texture Paste, making sure to not add the paste in the area I wanted to stamp the sentiment later. While the paste was still wet I sprinkled on some Judikins sparkling embossing powder and set it aside to air dry. When it was dry I zapped the embossing powder with my heat gun. 
Next I used Inkscape to create a cut file for my elephant and balloon image to use with my Cricut. I don't own a manual diecut machine, so I made do with what I have. Side bar: I wrote a blog post about how to make your own cut files for the stamps you own - you can check that out HERE.
I then scribbled Distress Markers onto my acrylic block and added water so that I could paint my image. I only used two colors: festive berries for the balloon and weathered wood for the elephant. 
After my adorable little guy was painted and set aside, I stamped the sentiment in Versa Fine Ink and added Hero Arts Clear Embossing Powder to make it pop a little more. 
Then came the trimming. When I first started I didn't think I was going to like the way the water colored background was going to turn out so I didn't pre-measure the piece of watercolor paper - I was just playing around. However, I ended up liking it so kept going with it. I just trimmed the white edges off my card front, temporarily adhered it to a piece of red card stock by the paper studio and eyeballed it. 
So I really loved how the clouds turned out with the sparkle embossing powder, but I wanted more sparkle. Using a Jennifer McGuire technique, I added Versa Mark and same embossing powder to the edges of my red card stock (this is why I temporarily adhered the card front earlier) and basically made my own glitter paper! 
Finally I added my elephant on foam tape to the card front and glued that down with my ATG Tape Runner. For a finishing touch, I added the adorable three star stamp from the Unforgettable Stamp set by Wplus9. I followed the curve of the elephants body all the way down to the sentiment. Here's another shot of the finished product on my craft table:
My husband thinks it looks too plain 😞 I told him he doesn't make cards or craft so he has no idea how much time and effort goes into something "plain" like this and the people who do will understand and be able to see the work I put into it. I hope I'm right. Please let me know your honest opinions! Don't forget to subscribe/follow, and as always thanks so much for stopping by! ❤️



12 comments:

  1. So cute. Great coloring of the elephant and balloons. I like the sparkly clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, I love your shimmery clouds on the soft water colour background

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo sweet! Love the line of stars! (Hubby's wrong. sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sweet! the little elephant is just so adorable. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really cute card and definitely not plain! All the elements are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is just adorable, and not plain at all. I can't believe you say you are a newbie???!! So much has gone into this card, and yet, it is not too much or too busy. I think it is perfect. I am in love with your textured clouds especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how great that makes me feel! Thank you! Yup, total card making newbie. Although, I do watch a lot of Jennifer McGuire hehe :)

      Delete
  7. Sara love you card! the background is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable card. I love the sky and clouds. My favorite card.

    ReplyDelete