Saturday, June 6, 2015

Happy happy girl!!

I cannot express in words how excited I am right now!! I just created my own cut files to use in my Cricut explore using Inkscape so that I can get the diecut stamped image look that I love so so much! Look!!
These are by no means perfect as it was 2am when I was doing this so it was tough for me to line them up well. I'll get the hang of it with more practice. 

And I want to preface this by saying this is in no way my original idea, although I did think to myself that there had to be a way to copy my stamp images and create a file instead of having to purchase a manual diecut machine and all the matching dies just to get an amazing cutout of my stamped images. Then I found the Craftsby2 tutorial on how to make your own and if you'd like to see that video you can click HERE.

Now I do want to add that I had to do things a little different than how craftsby2 explained. The first few steps are the same: scan your image at 300 dpi and do any editing without changing the image size (leave at 300dpi) and then import to Inkscape. They then show resizing the image by 30% which I did the first few times but at the end it kept turning out to be only a half inch big and my image was at least an inch maybe an inch and a half so I knew that was wrong. I changed the way I edited the scanned images but the results were alway the same! So finally I decided not to resize it at all and that fixed the problem. 

Ok step 4: go to the path menu and select "trace bitmap." This creates an outlined copy of your image when you click on the image and move it over. You can then delete the original image, you won't be needing it anymore. 
Step 5: select your outlined image and go to path and click on "outset." This increases the outline of the image. Craftsby2 grow this path by 4 steps (select outset or use control + zero four times), but I didn't want it to be that large. The first time I did three times and then next I only did two. I like the two better. Keep in mind the larger you make it the easier it will be to stamp the image onto the cutout. I have a MISTI though so I didn't think I would have a problem if it were smaller. 
Step 6: once you've made it the size you want, click on the nodes icon on the left side menu (second from the top) and delete any of the inside nodes that you do not want to be cut. You can zoom in to get the tiny ones and hit undo if you make any mistakes. 
Step 7: Save your image as an svg and do a vector upload into design space. One thing to note, you must check the image size in Inkscape and once you put it in design space resize it if necessary. This is done in Inkscape by selecting the image and at the top it will show the size in pixels per inch - just change it to inches/centimeters and there's your size! 

It seems extremely difficult and like it would be a pain in the you know what, but once you do it once or twice its a breeze! I can't wait to upload the rest of my images into design space! 

And here's one more picture because it's simply adorable not to mention PERFECT!



I hope all this made sense. Remember you can always watch the Craftsby2 tutorial if my directions don't make sense. Some people are just visual learners. Let me know if you have any questions I would be happy to help! As always, thanks for stopping by! ❤️

Free SVG files:


I am sharing the files that I have created with my blog followers; if you do not follow me all I request is that you do. To use the files in Design Space they must be resized. However, all you have to do is change the width and the height will automatically correct to be proportional. 

Balloon Elephant Download - width to 1.273 inches
Sitting Elephant Download - width 1.426 inches
Bubble Elephant Download - width 1.716 inches



3 comments:

  1. No problem! I'd be happy to share the files, I would just have to email them to you because blogger won't let me upload SVG files

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I ordered more from this latest release.

    ReplyDelete